Mole checks and Melanoma detection
Strategies for early melanoma detection: Approaches to the patient with nevi.
Goodson AG, Grossman D.
J Am Acad Dermatol. 2009 May;60(5):719-35; quiz 736-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2008.10.065.
- Mole checks are the « bread and butter » of many dermatologists.
- The article summarizes the concepts of practical situations that arise when checking the skin or moles for melanoma:
- Should we focus on nevi?
- Signature nevi
- Ugly duckling sign
- The article also defines who should be screened and how dermatologists inform patients:
- Recognizing melanoma
- New and changing nevi
- Role of self skin examination
- The available tools for melanoma detection (dermoscopy…)
- How to detect changes (total body photography…)
- How to approach a patient presenting with nevi.
For full access to the free article in the Journal of American Academy of Dermatology (JAAD), click here.
JAAD: click here to view abstracts from the current edition, articles in press, most cited articles and top 25 articles.
Dr Christophe Hsu – dermatologist. Geneva, Switzerland