Michael Jackson: Vitiligo and Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
- Michael Jackson (1958-2009) was an American Singer and is often called the « King of Pop »
- He is reported to have suffered from vitiligo and the whitening of the rest of his black skin was done with monobenzone 20% (benoquin).
- His skin progressively became white and the gradual change can be seen in the musical video « Thriller »
- He did suffer from Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) and had his nose operated several times (rhinoplasty) over a 20 year period – so many surgeries where done that resulted in loss of nose skin tissue obliging him to wear a mask in his later years. Other than the hair and skin changes, something he could never accept was the appearance of his nose.
- To read about some of his alleged obsessions about his appearance: click HERE.
- To see the nose changes, click on the link HERE.
- To read more on Monobenzone (Benoquin), click HERE.
- To read more on Body Dysmorphic Disorder and its detection, click HERE.
Dr Christophe HSU – dermatologist. Geneva, Switzerland